This recipe has become a favorite for my family. I made this first time last year for a birthday and it was a hit. I did change some and those are listed at the end of the recipe. This recipe came from a Hershey’s Recipe Tin Box. This was a wonderful gift from my husband and girls since I love recipes but the recipe can be found online Here.
This cake batter is very thin and the frosting has this fudgy texture.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 – 3/4 cups all – purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa powder
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour baking pans. I use Pam Baking Spray.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed with a mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be very thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake time is based on size of the pan you use. There is a list at the end of the recipe.
“Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount of additional milk, if needed.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- One-Pan cake: (13x9x2) Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost
- Three Layer cake: (8 inch) Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Frost.
- Bundt Cake: (12 cup fluted tube pan) Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes and cool completely on wire rack. Frost.
- Cupcakes: Line muffin tin (2-1/2 in diameter) with liners. Fill cups 2/3 full. bake 22-25 minutes. Cool completely and Frost. Makes about 30.
- I used 3 – 9 inch pans and reduced cooking time to 25-30 minutes.
- I doubled the frosting recipe and I mixed 1/3 cup dark cocoa with the regular cocoa